Office of Superintendent of Freedmen, Charleston, S.C., April 1st, 1865
In accordance with Major General Sherman's Order, No. 15, permission is hereby granted to Richard Brown to take possession of and occupy forty acres of land, situated in W. Andrews Parish, Island of James and being a part of what was formerly known as Heyward's plantation. By order of Brevet Major General Rufus Saxton. Signed by Gilbert Pillsbury, Gov. and General Superintendent of Freedmen.